Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Tiny treasures


For anyone who knows me (and it doesn't have to be particularly well), they know I'm a stationary enthusiast. Call me old-fashioned, but I hope the tradition of writing and mailing handwritten letters to loved ones never dies. I hope it's never replaced by email, or worse, a text. In my ideal world, Lucida handwriting  will never compete with real handwriting (but nice try, Microsoft); and          "Inbox (1)" will never compete with the excitement of feeling and seeing an envelope (addressed by hand, of course) in your mailbox. Handwritten letters show thoughtfulness -- everything was selected for a reason. From the card to the font (cursive or print?) to the stamp (Liberty Bell or one of my favorites, King & Queen?).

So, a few years ago, I was ecstatic when I discovered Lea Redmond's world's smallest post service. A couple months ago, I used Lea's service to send my boyfriend a tiny tiny letter, which arrived in a tiny envelope, and was decorated with a tiny stamp and wax seal. The package also included a magnifying glass (for those who need a little help reading the tiny treasure). While the tiny letter has a not-so-tiny-price tag ($9), I think the price is justified. The letter itself could be considered a gift. I can confidently say that your recipient won't be throwing away this birthday card!

No comments:

Post a Comment